Monday, June 29, 2015

I-9 Audits: A Survival Guide for Employers





Former INS Trial Attorney Carl Shusterman (1976-82) explains what employers can do to avoid an I-9 audit, and what they should do it they are audited.  Schedule a legal consultation (by Skype, telephone or in person) at http://shusterman.com/schedule-immigration-consultation.html

Below are a few simple rules regarding I-9 forms:

1. Each person you employ must complete Part 1 of the I-9 on or before his/her first day of employment.

2. You, as the employer, must complete Part 2 of the I-9 on or before the person's 3rd day or employment.

3. Be sure that the person who completes the I-9 signs and dates the form.

4. Store the I-9 forms together and not in each employee's personnel file.  You are permitted to store the I-9 forms electronically.

5. Store the I-9 forms of current employees separately from the I-9s of former employees.

6. I-9 forms must be kept for 3 years after a person is hired or 1 year after they quit, retire or are terminated, whichever date is later.

For more information, please see our Employers Immigration Guide at http://shusterman.com/employersimmigrationguide.html

No comments:

Post a Comment